Church of Peace Swidnica
The Church of Peace Swidnica belongs to the most visited sights of Lower Silesia and is regarded as one of the most beautiful timbered churches of Europe. The Peace church is together with the one in Jawor have been placed since 2001 on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The peace of Westphalia in 1648 meant the end of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648). At the same time as the signing of the accord gave emperor Ferdinand III approval to build three Peace Churches (in Glogow, Jawor and Swidnica). However, for the buildings were a number of limitations. The churches must not be built of stone, but only from wood, clay and straw. It was not allowed to build towers on the churches and there must not be church bells present. In short, in appearance it must not look like a church. Further it must be built without using nails and had to be built outside of the town walls, and on unattractive locations. Finally the church had to be built within a year and the total costs were all for the account of the parishioners.
The, in the form of a cross, Church of Peace Swidnica was built after the design of architect Albrecht von Saebisch. After ten months the building was completed and on the 24th June 1657 was the first service held in the brand new church. The church building has a surface area of 1090 square meters and it can hold about 7500 people. From 1707 was it possible to build a tower onto the church and procure church bells. The Peace Churches in Jawor and Swidnica are the largest religious buildings in Europe with a wooden frame.
- Prices: 10 zł adults 5 zł children
- Opening hours: April up to October. 09:00 – 13:00 and from 15:00 – 18:00
- Address: pl. Pokoju 6, PL 58-100 Swidnica
- Distance from Palac Jugowice: 22 km, approximately 30 minutes
Return to the overview page.